Questions for Discussion:
1. Look at all parts of the letter carefully. What can you learn about the author of the letter, John H. Finley, as well as its recipient, James H. Manning? What kind of men are they?
2. Use a textbook or the internet to locate
3. Look at the date. What major event has just happened in that part of the world?
4. Based on your answers above, hypothesize as to why you believe John H. Finley was in that part of the world. Discuss.
5. After your discussion, read the headline of the article found in the New York Times on April 17, 1918. Why was Finley in
6. Can you think of any recent examples where prominent Americans have gotten involved in relief campaigns?
New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards:
Finley, John H. Letter to James H. Manning. 26 May 1919. Lloyd W. Smith Collection. Morristown National Historical Park.
National History Standards: http://nchs.ucla.edu/standards/us-standards5-12.html
Mini Lesson by Laurie Schmid